Position Details: Utility Technician/Material Handler
The Utility Technician will perform the duties of a Material Handler. The primary responsibility is to provide support for the mill’s production activities as well as loading and unloading the mill’s raw materials and finished products into and out of trucks and conveying systems using powered industrial trucks.
A Utility Technician will be expected to maintain a flexible schedule to support the needs of the teams; working day-shift Monday through Friday unless needed to support a team with a vacancy or training needs. The UT would then be assigned to a team’s shift schedule. UTs are required to move onto vacancies on a team as a Material Handler when openings occur.
ST Paper is committed to a high performance, team-based operation accountable for developing and adhering to procedures for safety, quality, environmental protection, customer satisfaction and productivity.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Follow safety norms in all activities.
- Be fully engaged in safety and complete safety engagement activities.
- Unload scrap paper from trucks using powered industrial trucks (PIT).
- Load wrapped tissue rolls into truck using PITs.
- Stage dropped semi-trailers for loading or unloading.
- Load bales of pulp onto conveyors for pulping.
- Move tissue rolls from the tissue machine to the wrapping station.
- Handle broke (off-quality product) as needed
- Provide support for tissue area and recycle area shutdowns.
- Support the Mill Services Specialist as needed.
- Perform housekeeping duties in assigned area.
Advanced Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Support blade changes on the tissue machine.
- Pull shafts from reels of tissue.
- Prepare cores for the tissue machine.
- Operate the wrapping system.
Qualification Requirements: Education, Skills and /or Experience:
- Must demonstrate a dedicated commitment to safety.
- Able to interact effectively with team members.
- Must work and contribute in a collaborative team environment.
- Be able to work without supervision.
- High level of initiative and drive.
- Ability to learn computer programs and use Microsoft products.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job the employee is required to:
- Regularly: Climb ladders, ascend/descend stairs or ramps.
- Occasionally: Bend forward at waist, crouch, push, pull twist, drive, handle, reach above the shoulders, reach below shoulders, squat and lift up to 50 pounds.
- Frequently: Sit, stand, walk, speak and hear clearly, work with others, use keyboard/calculator and lift up to 30 pounds.
- Specific vision: abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.