Position Details: Mechanical Maintenance Technician
SUMMARY: Reports to Maintenance Area Leader and ensures that plant process equipment, maintenance equipment, and rolling stock are kept in a safe, and good reliable, operating condition. Maintenance Mechanical Technicians are expected to repair/replace and install equipment in a safe manner using techniques that ensure the best efficiency and extended life. This position will be expected to work in all areas of ST Paper 1, LLC, when the need arises.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Repair and maintain mechanical equipment in an assigned area of the mill.
- Make preventive maintenance rounds of assigned area, locating and troubleshooting equipment problems.
- Inspect and test equipment as required.
- Acquire proficiency in monitoring, diagnosing, and correcting equipment problems and improve the design, operation, and monitoring of equipment to maximize the reliability of the equipment, process, and product quality.
- Participate in teams, task forces, and other groups to correct equipment or process problems.
- Arrange for maintenance of equipment within area of responsibility, including using a computer maintenance management system to plan repairs; for preventative maintenance; to order parts, tools, and services from vendors; and prepare requests for new equipment.
- Update maintenance procedures for equipment in your area of responsibility and in the Maintenance Development System.
- Complete all training assigned through the Maintenance Development System and other internal/external training to become a M9 level multi-skilled mechanical technician.
- Participate in the training of mechanical maintenance technician as required.
- Perform work without committing unsafe acts, maintain a safe and orderly work area, and participate in company safety programs.
- Establish and maintain effective communications and good working relationships all mill team members and suppliers.
- Maintain a multi-skilled area of ownership which includes work order management, preventive/predictive maintenance, safety and environmental follow-up and other associated tasks.
- Serve as backup to other mechanical maintenance technicians as needed.
- Assist with plan layout of new equipment installations, checkout and commissioning.
- Carry out other responsibilities related to the position as required.
Education, Skills and /or Experience:
- Completion of a 4-year apprenticeship or equivalent program in one of the following: millwright, machining, pipefitting or welding
- An equivalent of 2 years vocational/technical industrial maintenance training with at least 3 years of industrial experience working in the mechanical maintenance field.
ESSENTIAL POSITION REQUIREMENTS:
This position will require an individual to:
- Communicate effectively.
- Be able to work in an empowered team system environment and also work alone.
- Possess ambulatory capabilities to be able to move freely about the mill, including moving required equipment, tools, and parts to the job site; be able to climb and work in high places; and do a considerable amount of bending, stooping, reaching, turning, twisting, and heavy work (lifting 50-100 pounds) occasionally, and frequent lifting of 25 pounds in carrying out responsibilities of position.
- Work with personal computers efficiently.
- Be able to read and interpret drawings and prints.
- Be able to work on and around machinery.
- Be willing to participate in an on-call rotation of weekends and nights, work 10-hour shifts Monday-Thursday, and be subject to occasional overtime to meet the needs for the position