Electrical & Instrumentation Maintenance Technician
Reports to: Maintenance Area Leader
Location: ST Paper 1, LLC, Duluth MN
Summary: Reports to Maintenance Area Leader and ensures that plant process and maintenance equipment are kept in a safe, and reliable operating condition. E&I Technicians are expected to utilize electrical/instrumentation maintenance skills to plan, repair, install, and maintain the mill’s electrical and instrumentation systems to maintain safe, stable and highly productive operations. This position will be expected to work in all areas of ST Paper 1, LLC.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Works as a member of a team using skills in multiple crafts to accomplish the desired results.
- Observes and follows all the safety regulations and plant procedures including use of personal protection equipment (PPE) such as fall protection harness, chemical suits, hardhats, safety glasses, face shields, gloves and other equipment as required to perform job duties safely.
- Participates in and supports mill’s safety training and safety engagement activities.
- Inspects, tests and repairs and maintain mill’s electrical and instrument equipment as required.
- Makes preventive rounds, locating and troubleshooting malfunctions; use testing equipment, programmable controllers and distributive controls for troubleshooting.
- Monitors, diagnoses, and corrects electrical and instrument equipment problems and improves the design, operation, and monitoring of the automation systems and equipment to maximize the reliability of the equipment, process and product quality.
- Participates in teams or groups to address issues throughout the facility.
- Arranges for maintenance of equipment within area of responsibility to include planning for repairs, preventive maintenance, ordering parts, tools or services from vendors, and preparing requests for new equipment.
- Updates maintenance procedures for equipment as needed.
- Completes all assigned training.
- Participates in training of other technicians as required.
- Works effectively with members of maintenance, operations, vendors and leadership to solve problems and improve operation of the facility.
- Reads diagrams and schematic drawings and service manuals to determine work procedures
- Keeps accurate records of materials used and ensures needed parts are ordered through the documentation system.
- Interfaces with purchasing on required spare parts, including specifications and interchangeable parts.
- Ensures the work is done safely, in an environmentally sound manner and areas are left free of debris when the job is complete.
- May be assigned to “Special Projects” as needed
Education, Skills and /or Experience:
- Requires completion of an electrical or instrument apprenticeship program or an equivalent of 2 years vocational/technical industrial electrical or instrumentation maintenance training with at least 3 years of industrial experience working in the electrical/instrumentation maintenance field.
- Must have excellent troubleshooting skills
- Ability to read P&ID schematics and blueprints and repair or install as required.
- Ability to interact well with all levels of the organization and various vendors
- Must work and contribute in a collaborative team environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job the employee is required to:
Occasionally: climb ladders, ascend/descend stairs or ramps while carrying tools. Bend forward at waist, crouch, push, pull twist, drive, handle, reach above the shoulders, reach below shoulders, squat and lift up to 50 pounds.
Frequently: Sit, stand, walk, speak and hear clearly, work with others, use keyboard/calculator and lift up to 30 pounds.
Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.